Sunday, March 29, 2009

CAMBRIA

Yesterday we got to take a little day-trip out to the coast. We went to Cambria and Hearst Castle, and we had so much fun!! The beach was beautiful... windy and a bit chilly... but beautiful. Andy and I used to take these little weekend trips all of the time before we had our sweet little girl to watch over... and now the trips continue. We love traveling and seeing new sights and new things, and now she's finally old enough to take with us!

Mom and Atley on the beach... all cuddled together for warmth!

Atley got to feel the sand in between her toes for the first time yesterday! And dad did it with her... I think this is such a sweet picture of their feet side by side. Atley loved the feeling of the sand on her feet... but got scared when the water got on them.


Daddy holding Atley watching the waves come in and out. Such a peaceful sound, and so peaceful to watch.

Andy took this picture... look at the bottom right. You can see pretty little beach lilies! All different colors!

This is part of the Hearst Castle. This man had a LOT of money. But you know what they say... money can't buy you happiness right? He sounds like he was a miserable old rich man. But he still had a really cool place to live. I will give him that. This is a pic of his indoor pool... 10 feet deep, and the upper level is the kiddie pool. The floor had 24 carat gold!! This is the only indoor picture we got of the castle tour because someone (we won't mention any names) was being noisy, and we had to visit the "nursery" to calm them down.

The castle had beautiful landscaping all around it (of course)... this was an area that overlooked the hills to the west.


This is the casa grande... where he actually lived. He had two guest-houses which were pretty immaculate as well. But this building had the big dining hall, the pool shown above, a huge movie theater, and some other rooms we didn't get to see.


Isn't this a beautiful rose? I just love pictures of flowers.


This is the outdoor pool. Pretty. This guy was super picky and had the construction workers tear it down three times before he liked what he saw... and this is the finished product... because he is dead now.


Atley and Andy right beside the Neptune Pool (shown above).

Daddy and Atley moment. Look at her facial expression. She's so expressive all the time!


Mom and Atley in front of the big outdoor pool at Hearst Castle.


Dad and Atley on the tour bus. As soon as we boarded the bus, Andy and I heard ooooo's and ahhhh's about Atley... and she LOVES the attention. She started smiling and cooing for everyone and waving her arms in big circles. It's always fun to hear complements about your sweet baby and to have people around you who want to help entertain. :)


This picture was taken right before we entered the visitor center. We wanted Atley to have a nice full tummy. A full Atley is a happy Atley.


A beautiful green outlook. Notice the lizard on top of the rock.

7 comments:

Adam Jensen said...

What beautiful pictures!!! I love day trips. I am glad you guys feel like you can go out and have little trips again. I love the picture of Andy hold Atley up and her cheeks look so chubby :) And i love her bare feet! SO sweet! That's awesome she likes the sand. I think both my kids would freak. I tried to show Hayden grass yesterday and he hated it. Although it wasn't very soft grass yet I guess. Anyway, looks like a great time! Beautiful beach and cool castle! I can't wait till we can come out and see you guys and take some day trips with you!

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful pictures!! I wish we had cooler stuff to go see out here...seems like on Saturdays and Sundays we get bored...or maybe there is cool stuff here, we just don't realize it because we live here. I'm glad you guys could go out and do some fun things together! I love the picture of Atley eating in her little bumbo! hah! I can't believe how big she is getting! I miss you guys!

Mrs. Schmalison said...

I love that its the finished product because he is dead now. You make me chuckle;)

Lauren said...

What a fun trip! The beach looks dreamy, and that castle is so beautiful! The bumbo in the back of the car is great. You do what you gotta do. Too bad I tried to buy one of those recently at Target and they wouldn't let me take it at the register because of a recall! I guess too many babies fell of the counter! (just keep it on the floor) Anyway, you are a sweet little family. You are beautiful cousin!

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a fun trip. What beautiful places you get to go and see. Ya know......there are not too many out here. lol but I guess the mountains are beautiful aye! Atley is getting cuter and cuter! So I hear there is a talk of a tropical vacation with us! Can I just say Yeah!!!! I think we should go to Maui! Oh and we could take a boat to other islands. Oh Virginia I get so excited when I think about going on trips! How fun it would be to go with you guys!

Jennifer said...

Wow... those pictures are amazing! The beach is beautiful and that castle is crazy! That would be so fun to visit! It is so nice when kids hit an age where you feel like you can go anywhere you want again. Atley is so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pretty sites! I've never heard of that place but it sure is pretty! I love the beach... I can't wait to see it! Thank you so much for the bows! I got them today already! Theya re perfect and done so well. I sent your money today!