The sawing-it-off part was terrifying for her... poor girl. It was sooo loud, and since she's already scared of the vacuum because of the noise, I knew this would be no better. I'm pretty sure her scream was as loud as the saw. But, we survived it, and now she's floyd-free!!! Was Floyd ripe when he came off? He sure was... not as ripe as he could be come 6 weeks of the usual cast time. But he was ready to come off. We got her home and in the tub! She was so happy to be able to play in the water again! I can tell her leg still hurts her though. She would cry a little when I would pick up her legs to wash her "under carriage" as Andy puts it. :)
Speaking of bathing... that was not the only reason she needed a bath today. While at the dr.'s office in the waiting room, this big 'plump' man in a wheelchair came rolling up to us. At first I thought, "Ok. He just wants to look at Atley." Look was not all he wanted to do. He started touching her foot... then her leg... then her arm and hand... then her CHEEK!!!! Can we say BOUNDARIES people?!!! Atley looked totally uncomfortable with this. Not to mention, he stunk of stale smoke and some type of BO that hasn't been identified yet. He was very unkempt, and his fingernails... let's just say they left something to be desired. They were thick, yellow, LONG and had dirt all over them and underneath them. After a few minutes of trying to be nice and watching over and over the long filthy fingernails caressing my sweet baby's clean white skin, and feeling totally uncomfortable, Atley finally coughed. And so I picked her up and acted like she needed to be burped (even though she's wayyyy past that stage). And then I proceeded to tell this man(?), in my soft little voice "She doesn't like her hands touched" (which is true). Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he rolled away. And I got out baby wipes and totally wiped her down... every inch he had touched, and probably inches that he hadn't. I know a few of you may think this is a bit extreme... but you never know what people's hands have been on, and based on his smell, I'm guessing his hands weren't exactly purel-ed recently. I tried to be nice people, and I was. I think I was a little too nice, thinking back. People need to realize that babies have boundaries too! My point in telling this story was not trying to be rude about this man here... I just had to illustrate the story for you so you could picture it in your own minds. :)Anyway, back to Floyd. The floyd-free privilege does come with its own little stipulations however. Absolutely no standing... probably no crawling for a while yet, x-rays AGAIN in two weeks, and then another dr.'s appointment to follow up and make sure the bone hasn't moved and everything is in place. But at least the cast is gone, and we can bathe in an actual tub now instead of the blessed sponge baths she was receiving with it on!
Pictures coming soon... :)



4 comments:
hahah, I love your post!! First off, I am glad Atley got her cast off!! Hooray!! I am glad the pink floyd legend was continued another generation! Secondly, that story about that man is very disgusting and I don't think it's mean at all that you said something! Some people have NO sense of boundaries at all. Thirdly, I think it's hilarious yet very disturbing that Andy refers to it as an "under carriage" and fourth, Can't wait to see you!!
Oh my goodness. I'm happy that the cast was able to come off, but I'm sad I didn't get to see it in person.
I think you are right on about the old man too. Some people just don't understand boundaries. Sadie is having a struggle with this right now. She is way to up close and personal to people.
Anyway I hope everything is going good and that the cast free Atley is doing better.
Talk to you soon!
undercarriage... that is hilarious. I am glad Atley is cast free! Yes it bugs me when people touch babies hands... or people want to caress a perfect stranger's pregnant belly. I wish I could have heard you talk about that guy. I bet you were pretty reserved in that description :) gives me heebee jeebies thinking about yellow fingernails... icky. Hayden hates when people touch his hands too.
I'm so happy for her to be able to get that uncomfortable thing off. Poor little one. That man sounded creapy and that picture of those fingernails you posted is so disturbing. Miss you, wish I could see you. Merissa said something about you going to Utah in a week and a half. How long are you staying? I'm going to be down there for the weekend of the 5th, if you are still there, maybe we can get together for a few hours!!!
Post a Comment